Christianity Today is hiring a full-time assistant editor to create, acquire, and edit articles and training resources for pastors and church leaders. This position requires a passion for serving those in formal church leadership and an appreciation for the unique challenges and pain points of ministry. This assistant editor will be working primarily with the CT Pastors Editor to craft and refine content for the Pastors vertical of Christianity Today, as well as for BuildingChurchLeaders.com.
We’re looking for someone with outstanding communication skills who believes the gospel of Jesus Christ is a transforming and vital force and that God’s primary way of working in the world is through his church. We want someone who reads widely and has experience working in and with various ministries in a local church. If you spend time thinking about topics like the emotional health of pastors, the importance of Bible engagement in the church, and the challenges of recruiting and keeping volunteers, this job may be for you.
This position will involve working on both articles and training curriculum, and while it involves some writing, it is not a staff writer position. The ideal candidate will be more excited about helping others communicate well than in making sure their own bylines and perspective get attention. They will be more interested in providing timeless wisdom for those in ministry than covering the latest cultural event or working with big names. It’s a great position for someone who loves taking abstract information and finding exciting and unintuitive ways in which it can directly benefit church leaders in their day-to-day work.
Education: Undergraduate degree required. (M.Div. or M.A. in theology preferred.)
Knowledge/Skills: Strong written and oral communication skills; Able to manage multiple tasks and meet recurring deadlines in a fast-paced environment; Aptitude for creative problem solving and strong analytics skills; Knowledge of church history and evangelical Protestant theology, culture, and leadership.
Experience: 1-3 years in online editorial role preferred
Physical Requirements: Sitting, reaching, handling, typing, talking, hearing, visual acuity (near), visual accommodation, color vision. Work is performed in a typical office environment.
Assisting in editorial efforts for CT Pastors (60%)
- Acquire, edit, and title articles to be published on CT’s Pastors vertical and special issues and collaborate with editorial and marketing teams for strategic planning of content.
- Help plan the editorial content strategy for CT Pastors, working closely with the editor, marketer, technology department, and other team members to create and maintain digital publishing best practices for the website.
- Attend all team meetings and weekly supervisory check-ins, contributing ideas and leadership in conversations and planning.
- Gain and maintain familiarity with the landscape of evangelical pastoral ministry and church leadership.
- Build and maintain relationships with writers.
Assisting in editorial and product development efforts for BuildingChurchLeaders.com (40%)
- Create and curate content leadership resources
- Repackage, re-title, and update existing content for greater ministry impact and discoverability, using analytics and user feedback to track effectiveness
- Assist in development of new products, from conception to production
- Plan and write weekly email newsletters
- Develop editorial and promotional schedules to align with seasonal pain points and ministry needs
- Edit and publish SEO-friendly content to increase referral traffic and product sales
- Work closely with CT Pastors editor to fill editorial grid for site content and product integration on ChristianityToday.com and other digital channels