The Lead Pastor will model the purpose of Bedford Community Church (BCC) to “see the Kingdom of God come in all its fullness in Northern Westchester, its surrounding regions, and beyond.” The Lead Pastor will be an articulate advocate and communicator for the vision, mission, and core values of BCC. This person will be the primary leader, teacher, and visionary and will have a broad responsibility for the spiritual welfare, growth and life of the church in all areas including discipleship, evangelism, and equipping the congregation for service. The Lead Pastor is to embody the essence of a shepherd and servant leader. The Lead Pastor will model what it is to experience and live life in the fullness of the Holy Spirit and will be able to clearly articulate the doctrinal distinctives of the C&MA, including the C&MA’s position on the ministry/filling/gifts of the Holy Spirit, and the C&MA’s understanding of healing for today. The Lead Pastor will be amenable to the District Superintendent of the Metro District of the C&MA and will work collaboratively with the official Board of Bedford Community Church.
Profess faith in the Lord Jesus and display a growing, vibrant relationship and walk with Him that sets an example in word and deed for children and adults.
- Continue to grow spiritually and professionally through reading, listening to training resources, taking classes and attending conferences and seminars.
- Agreement to living out the moral expectations of a pastor that ministers in the Metropolitan District of the Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Have a vital walk with Jesus Christ evidenced by faithfulness, passion, and an appreciation for God’s glorious grace.
- Have a gift and a passion for preaching the eternal, inerrant, and unalterable Word of God as revealed in the Old and New Testaments.
- Practice personal one-on-one evangelism and discipleship and be committed to equipping others to do the same.
- Be an authentic communicator, easy to understand, and down-to-earth.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to share with others in a large group setting and one-on-one from his heart and life.
- Be willing to be humble enough to accept input from those he is leading, as well as be appropriately transparent with the many, and intimately transparent with a few.
- Be actively seeking to lead his family into relationship with Christ. The lead pastor’s family should be supportive of God’s call on his life. The successful candidate is expected to relocate to within the community of the church.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties and responsibilities of the Lead Pastor will be carried out in the context of the staff team and ministry leaders. Our intent is that the Lead Pastor will give leadership and oversight and delegate responsibility as appropriate. These essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: Preaching of the Word, Prayer, Leadership, Evangelism & Discipleship, Shepherding & Teaching, and Pastoral Care. The Lead Pastor will work in conjunction with the board of Elders, staff team, and ministry leaders in the implementation of the mission, vision and core values of the church. To that end, the Lead Pastor will be responsible for the following:
Ministry of the Word:
- Be the leader of the preaching team, of which he will be the primary preacher, and have oversight of all pulpit ministries.
- Oversee the execution of all weekend and special worship services either directly or through his designated staff member.
- Be the person that gives primary oversight to the staff team – either directly or through the executive pastor – leading planning and execution of staff meetings, holding regularly scheduled individual meetings with staff team members and overseeing staff evaluations.
- Establish, in conjunction with the other Board, measurable objectives for all ministry staff in keeping with the purposes of the church.
- Conduct regular performance assessments of pastoral staff members and ensure regular performance assessments of all administrative staff members.
- Be the Chairman of the official Board of BCC, giving direction and oversight to the church in a collaborative manner with the Board.
- Work in collaboration with the Board to ensure all departments/ministries of BCC are in alignment with the mission/vision/core values of BCC.
- Work in collaboration with the Board in the hiring of all pastoral and administrative staff, proposing staff adjustments, and overseeing conflict resolution between staff members.
- Be the person to conduct – either directly or through his Board-Appointed designee – all business and congregational meetings of BCC.
- Work with the other Board to coordinate and execute an annual church strategy, annual goals, and review of ministry objectives.
- Be the primary contact with the district office to ensure that BCC is and remains in compliance with the denominational distinctives of the C&MA.
- Oversee the production of the Annual Report.
- Develop and oversee a Pastoral Care ministry within BCC that seeks to nurture the mental, spiritual and emotional health of the individuals in BCC.
- Administer a plan that ensures that every member of BCC has direct access to pastoral staff, ministry leader.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be a clear and articulate speaker who can be readily understood by our diverse congregation.
- Maintain excellent relationships and open communication with all BCC pastoral and administrative staff.
- Maintain excellent community relationships and connections in the Northern Westchester area.
- Full-time salaried, exempt position.
- Hours: expected 50-60 hours/wk., 5-day work week with Sunday being mandatory.
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees required, M.Div. or equivalent preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience leading or assistant leading in a growing church setting.
- Must be a believer in the priesthood and ministry of all believers, including the empowerment and release of female staff members in all areas of pastoral leadership (preaching, teaching, discipling of the entire body, etc.)
- Must be accredited/licensed/ordained with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, or able to meet the standard for accreditation, licensing, and ordination with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Full agreement and alignment with the doctrinal statement and distinctives of the Christian and Missionary Alliance, and the mission, vision, and core values of BCC.
Send resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
- Undergraduate and graduate degrees required, M.Div. or equivalent from an accredited institution preferred.